Bread stuffing is an all time favorite. Try this flavorful Greek vegetarian recipe flavored with ouzo, orange, herbs, nuts, figs, olive oil and more. Recipe by Diane Kochilas. Visit the author’s website for more Greek and Greek-inspired recipes or browse our Greek Recipes section for more ideas!
- 3 tablespoons Vrisi 36 extra virgin Bold of Organic Greek olive oil
- 3 leeks, trimmed, washed and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 cups plain croutons
- 1 bunch fresh oregano, leaves only
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves only
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- Strained fresh juice of two oranges
- 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped, dried Greek or California figs
- 1 cup Greek raisins
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- 2 cups cooked, peeled chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pitted, chopped Greek green or Kalamata olives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup ouzo
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock, or more, as needed
Preheat the oven to 375F / 200 C.
Heat the olive oil over medium flame in a large, deep skillet and cook the leeks, onions, and fennel until soft, about 12 minutes. Stir in the garlic. Remove from heat.
Transfer the croutons and leek mixture to a large mixing bowl. Toss with the herbs, zest, figs, raisins, walnuts, chestnuts and olives. Sprinkle with ouzo and orange juice, and toss to dampen. Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss with the stock.
Oil a large ceramic or ovenproof glass baking dish and transfer the stuffing to that. Place inside a larger pan and fill halfway with water. Cover the stuffing with parchment and then with aluminum foil, securing the edges. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and parchment and continue baking until the stuffing is nicely browned on top. Remove, cool slightly and serve.